Youth In Transition Program
Access Community Resources for Education, Employment, Training and Housing
The Youth In Transition (YIT) Program offers support and assistance to Crown Wards between the ages of 16 to 24 years who are moving towards an independent life. Currently, eligible youth between the ages of 18 and 21 receive financial and/or non-financial support through the Continued Care and Support for Youth (CCSY) Program. The YIT program aims to extend non-financial support to eligible youth from 16 to 24 years of age. Schedule a meeting with an experienced Youth In Transition Worker (YITW) at the Education + Employment Centre to discuss how you can access the community resources available to you.
What Can the Youth in Transition Worker Do for You?
A YITW provides personalized, one-on-one support to help you meet a wide range of needs. These include:
- Affordable housing
- Life skills training such as financial literacy/ budgeting, meal planning, etc.
- Education and employment resources to help cover the costs of post-secondary education and training, or to find a job
- Health and mental health services including a family doctor, dentist, or counsellor
- Legal services
- Other community and government services
Your YITW will meet you at a time and place that is most convenient for you. Get in touch with us right away!
Additional Services for Youth In Transition at EEC
At the Employment + Education Centre the YIT Program also includes:
- Character strength survey: This is a Positive Psychology tool which helps identify your strengths and how to build them to achieve your goals.
- Credit counselling: An experienced EEC Credit Counsellor will work with you to develop an individualized financial literacy plan and skills.
- Emotional intelligence testing: This test is designed to show young people how to recognize and understand their emotions to help them manage relationships more effectively.
- Access to all EEC’s employment services: You can utilize the knowledge and network of numerous professionals and their organizations within the EEC to find work and build a rewarding career.
Who Is Eligible for the YIT Program?
- Youth aged 16-24 years, that are or were formally Crown Wards under Section 65.2 of the CFSA, and living in Ontario and/or are participating in Continued Care and Youth Support, or as it was formally called, Extended Care and Maintenance
- Youth 16-17 years old, that have signed a Voluntary Youth Service Agreement (VYSA), or have left care and can return through the Renewed Youth Support Program to re-establish care and support up to 18 years old, and potentially 21.
Register for YIT at the Employment + Education Centre
Is someone you know eligible for the Youth In Transition Program? Get in touch with us right away. Family and Children’s Services Workers or anyone who knows an eligible young person can contact EEC directly by phone or email.
All we need is the contact information of the person you are referring and proof of their eligibility. One of our YITWs will then reach out to the youth to establish a convenient time and place for a meeting to discuss their individual needs and goals. He/she will also explain how the YITW can assist them to reach their full potential.
Since 1985, the Employment + Education Centre has been helping youth and adults in Leeds and Grenville area reach their full potential. From career planning to skills training and employment assistance, we have a full range of services to help build and maintain a satisfying career.
To schedule a meeting with your YITW, or learn more about our Youth In Transition Program, call 613-498-2111, or 1-800-926-0777 (toll free).